As a jazz trumpeter, Dave Scott has toured and recorded with Boz Scaggs, TOTO, Rosemary Clooney, Michael Feinstein, the Realistic Orchestra, the Marcus Shelby Jazz Orchestra, the Contemporary Jazz Orchestra, Brass Monkey Brass Band, the Dave Scott Jazz Quartet, and the Glenn Miller Ochestra.
As a classical trumpeter, he has recorded and performed with the Honolulu Symphony, the Napa Symphony, and the Santa Rosa Symphony, and performed as guest soloist with the San Francisco Sinfonietta Orchestra.
As a pianist, Dave has performed with Boz Scaggs, and freelances in the San Francisco Bay Area. His jazz piano accompanying skills are an important part of his approach to teaching jazz.
As a jazz teacher and History of Jazz lecturer, Mr. Scott works as Adjunct Faculty for the JazzSchool in Berkeley CA, Berkeley City College, and California State University (Stanislaus).
Dave is also a private trumpet instructor who studied with Armando Ghitalla, former principal trumpeter of the Boston Symphony. He has led several students through successful embouchure changes.
- Perform/Solo with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Boz Scaggs, July 2, 2008 [click here for audio clip]
- Join Adjunct Faculty at Berkeley City College, January 2008 as History of Jazz lecturer
- Join Adjunct Faculty at California State University, Stanislaus, September 2007, teaching History of Jazz, Jazz Arranging, Jazz Combo, and Applied Improvisation to Jazz Studies majors.
- Release critically acclaimed jazz quartet CD Why Must It Be, September, 2006
- Tour with Boz Scaggs Band as trumpeter and keyboardist, Summer 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, and Fall 2004
- Form the Bay Area Trumpet Supergroup (Mario Guarneri, Erik Jekabson, Mark Inouye, Mike Olmos, and Dave Scott). Perform at Berkeley Jazz Fest, August, 2006, and as part of the JazzSchool concert series, April, 2007 and December, 2007.
- Publish Trumpet Solo Transcriptions of Eleven San Francisco Trumpeters, 2005
- Publish Dave's Book of Lip Flexibilities, Scales, and Rhythm Reading, 2005
- Become faculty member of the JazzSchool in Berkeley, California in 2005
- Perform Arutunian Trumpet Concerto for a series of concerts with the San Francisco Sinfonietta Orchestra, 2004
- Perform with Brass Monkey Brass Band at the Monterey Jazz Festival, 2003
- Perform on Grammy Nominated CD as Principal Trumpeter with the Honolulu Symphony Orchestra, Rosemary Clooney: The Last Concert. 2002
- Join the Marcus Shelby Jazz Orchestra, record with Marcus on his last two CD's: Port Chicago (2005) and Portrait of Harriet Tubman (2008)
- Tour with Michael Feinstein, Linda Eder, Ann Hampton Calloway, Summers, 2001 and 2002
- Perform Lead and Solo Trumpet on Grammy Nominated CD, Rosemary Clooney: Sentimental Journey, 2001
- Publish Jazz Standards Made Etudes for Trumpet, with accompanying CD, 2001
- Record Lead Trumpet for Concord Jazz record label, Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack: Shake Those Hula Hips, released 2000
- Join Glide Memorial Methodist Church Change Band as Trumpeter, 2000 - present
- Record Lead Trumpet for Concord Jazz record label, Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack: Hawaiian Swing, released 1999
Dave Scott grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He studied early on with trumpeter Louis Smith, the Blue Note recording artist from the 1950s. Attending the University of Michigan, he worked as an piano accompanist a ballet studio, and studied trumpet with Armando Ghitalla.
In 1988, Dave Scott accepted a Teaching Assistant position with Professor of Trumpet William Pfund at the University of Northern Colorado. While finishing his Masters Degree in Trumpet Performance, Dave Scott won a state-wide Concerto Competition, and his jazz combo won a national award from Down Beat Magazine. In 1992, he toured with the Glenn Miller Orchestra as Lead Trumpet and Featured Soloist.
Dave Scott moved to San Francisco in 1993. From 1993-1999, he played trumpet and keyboards with the jazz trio, Hipbones. He joined the Community Music Center Faculty in 1997. Dave is a member of the Contemporary Jazz Orchestra, the Marcus Shelby Jazz Orchestra, and the Realistic Orchestra. He also works as a solo jazz pianist, and is a trumpet sub with the Santa Rosa Symphony Orchestra.
Dave is classically trained and comfortable being a accompanist, director, and conductor. From August 2006 to July 2007, Dave was the Musical Director of Bethany United Methodist Church in Noe Valley, San Francisco.
In November of 2004, Boz Scaggs asked Dave to join his band. He has been touring in the summers with Boz ever since.
Over the last ten years, Dave has created and tested his own trumpet teaching materials. He has extensively studied trumpet embouchure, and has received two grants from the San Francisco Community Music Center to study embouchure specifically.